Thursday, February 5, 2009

Gettin' There...

Almost done with the poncho, and having looked at the yarn I believe it might have been a discontinued colorway or one that didn't come out as planned. It's not a perfect match to either Orchid or Peppermint Stick. It almost looks like Rhubarb... who cares- it's pink, it's fluffy, and it's almost done!

I need to have a finishing party. I've completed a Haiku cardigan and a Sunflower Dress for Boogie, and now her poncho, and they'll all need the finishing touches applied. The sunflower dress is made in Kraemer's Little Lehigh Pebbles, and needs blocking and some buttons. I got some little sunflower buttons, so my child will look like a minion from the Land of Precious. The cardigan needs blocking, assembly and buttons, so it's a little less done than the other stuff, and the poncho might just need a little steam blocking since I used stockinette stitch instead of the garter stitch that was recommended in the pattern. Kinda feel like putting ribbons through the eyelet increases for the arms, but it might be too much... or Boogie might eat them. Probably best not to.

Then I can get started on the earflap hat for my boss's nephew. I found a few patterns on Ravelry for them, and can begin the Frankenstein process of cobbling together parts that work to make the hat. My main concern is that it's for an 8-year-old boy, and he wants a Steelers color motif, so I want to make it fit the specs without being dorky. I think it should only take a little bit of time to make... hopefully maybe a week if I can get the time to do it.

We're getting the household routine down, too, and I have actually remembered to take my multivitamin and drink a glass of OJ every morning for the past two weeks. I'm feeling a bit more energetic, and having a neater house is kinda cool-- looking around surveying a shithole of a house is kind of a downer. After a while you just sort of look at the mess and say, "Screw it, I'll clean and it'll just be messy again, so why waste the time?" I think it might be the same deal with your body, too, at least I'm noticing it in my case. I've been trying to take better care of myself- eat better food, get more sleep, make a bit more of an effort to look nice when I get ready for work. I'm not a total style superstar or anything but I'm at least trying to do something with my hair besides put it in a ponytail, maybe put a little makeup on, accessorize. And I never would have believed it for myself, but I actually do feel a little perkier these days, even if I still crash out on the couch by 10 every night. At least nowadays it's not 9 at night, after an evening of running around and feeling like shit. It's a start...

OK, so I promised kitchen adventures and have so far not delivered. We haven't done anything adventurous lately. I am making cinnamon buns this weekend for my inlaws' visit, so how about tomorrow we tackle those? Not exactly in line with my whole self-improvement kick, but nobody says you have to eat the whole batch, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment